Skip to main content

The Animator’s Sketch


They are the ones who give life to our favorite characters. Without them, I think life would be dull. Admit it, figuratively and literally, they give color to our lives. With such powerful hands, they bring our wild imaginations closer to reality. It’s high time that we turn the spotlight on the humble cartoon animator. I’ve recently had the pleasure of sitting down with one of Disney’s more prolific animators, Mr. Adelfo Manao, and finding out what makes a good animator tick.




Toni: How long have you been drawing? Did you have any special training for this or was drawing merely a hobby which you’ve parlayed into a job?

Adelfo: I’ve been drawing since I was young. I guess it’s both an inborn talent, and a hobby. I didn’t attend any workshop or classes. I practiced by myself. But if you wanna know how long I’ve been in this profession, that would be 17 years and 8 months. I’ve been a cartoon animator since January 1988. I’ve managed to hold onto this kind of job but it wasn’t always easy. When I was only starting out I had to transfer from one company to another. I spent 3 years in Fil Cartoons Inc. Afterwards I transferred to Moving Images Inc., and spent another 3 years there. Finally I landed a job in one of the biggest animation groups, Walt Disney, specifically with one of their subsidiaries, Toon City Animation Inc. I’ve been with them for most of my career. By the way, all of those companies are based here in the Philippines, although they are under foreign administrations.

T: Who or what encouraged you to draw? 

A: Who? Well, that would be my father, Placido Manao, Sr. But encouraged is not exactly the word I would use. It’s more of, influenced. My father was very artistic. As a kid, I would watch him draw and imitate him. That’s how I discovered that I had the talent. But he never gave me formal lessons on how to draw things. Just like any other kid, I used to draw robots and anything from my imagination.

T: How did you get into this industry in the first place?

A: My sister-in-law knew someone from this field who happened to be her client. She told me to send some of my work to her client, which I did. Then after that, I took the required exams, submitted more portfolios, and luckily I passed. Honestly, this is not the kind of career I planned on having. I took up Marine Engineering during college, obviously hoping to become an engineer. But I wasn’t able to finish. I have no regrets thought, for being in this line of work, because I learned to love what drawing. At least, what I’m using here is my talent, and not only what I have learned in school. In other words, I enjoy my work.

T: Any personal favorites among the characters you’ve drawn? If you were to choose become a character in your drawings, who would it be and why?
A: I like all of my work, but I consider Lilo and Stitch as my favorite because we got more projects after it became a hit movie (laughs). Seriously, it is my favorite because they are troublesome but funny characters. And their appearances are appealing to children. As for the other question, I choose Mr. Incredible, because he’s just so incredible! Although he’s old he has remained strong for his family and for the people who need him. And he’s very funny, too.

T: How does it feel getting to see your masterpieces on the big screen?
A: I feel proud. Who wouldn’t, right? Just seeing those figures I drew come to life is a big achievement. Furthermore, to see your name included in the acknowledgement part, that’s the most rewarding part. I get the chance to become famous even for a second. Even though most of the viewers won’t sit and wait to see that part, at least to us animators we know we’re the ones who made those still figures come to life.
T: Is this profession financially rewarding?
A: It is. I think any profession or job will be, if we know how to make use of our time and skills as wisely as we can.
T: Any downside to being a cartoonist or animator?

A: None, I guess. This is a fun job. It’s like playing all the time, only it’s a more serious game.

T: What does it take to be a good cartoonist like you?

A: Of course you’ve got to possess not only talent but also passion for your craft. One must also think and feel like a child in order to create something that will interest your largest market, which are the children. Most of all, one must be very eager to learn.

T: Do you still see yourself holding that pencil 5 to 10 years from now?

A: 5 to 9 years, yes, definitely. But 10 years from now, I guess I’ll still be holding it, but not as a professional animator anymore. By that time, my daughter might have taken my place, not as an animator, but as the new provider for the family. That’s according to her. She wants me to retire once she becomes successful in her chosen field. But it’s a plus factor because she can also draw.

T: Any tips for aspiring cartoonist or animators out there?

A: The only tip that I have in mind for them is to never think that they know all about drawing just because they can do it. Drawing is a very broad field. There are lots of styles, techniques and tricks to be discovered through practice and continuous learning. Most importantly, try to develop your own style and never copy from another artist because each work of art is unique, each stroke is personal.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Black Sheep

The night was getting deeper as I trudged along the dark alley leading to the apartment. The misty air and the stillness of the night bring back memories of the past. Memories that I have put on the back burner for a long time now. Memories that served as an envenom that is slowly killing and eating me wholly. Then rain drops started falling and before I knew it, thoughts kept flooding rapidly together with the rain. It’s the first day of my Senior year. I can’t describe the excitement I am feeling as my dad pulled over our Chevrolet in the school’s driveway. I hurriedly gave a peck on dad’s right cheek and went down to meet my friends and gave each other some updates on our summer vacation. The bell rang and we sped up to our rooms and faced our books. Another dreadful year in school again, but at least this will be my last year in High school. I am Eunice, the only daughter of two of the most successful entrepreneurs in the country. An average girl living a grandiose life. I was bo

Bukang Liwayway

Nag-aagaw ang dilim at liwanag at makikita ang anyo ng dalawang tao, babae at lalake sa may burol. Nakahilig sa balikat ng lalake ang babae habang nakatanaw sa papalitaw na haring araw. Apatnapung taon na silang pabalik-balik sa burol na iyon. Sila ay sina Inang Rosa at Tata Isko. Kilalang-kilala sila ng kanilang mga kababaryo. Kapwa sila nasa may sisenta ang edad at mula pagkabata ay bulag. Beinte anyos ng unang magkakilala ang dalawa, taga kabilang baryo si Tata Isko. Naging madalas ang pagdalaw ni Tata Isko sa baryo nina Inang Rosa dahil nagaangkat ng mga panindang gulay ang kanyang ama at siya ay tumutulong, sa kabilang banda naman ay tindera ng gulay ang ina ni Manang Rosa at gaya ni Tata Isko, ay katu-katulong siya ng ina sa pagtitinda. At dahil dito ay nagkakilala at nagkapalagayan ng loob ang dalawa. Magkasintahan pa lamang ang dalawa ay madalas na silang tumungo sa burol upang bantayan ang bukang liwayway na siyang ipinagtataka ng mga taga-baryo, dahil paano nga naman nila mas

In the Limelight

Below is the feature article I made for Blush Magazine, our school project.I Interviewed one of my clique who was then the school's representative for Campus Diva. Sugar, thanks for the pix from Friendster...I owe you one. ;p T he recently held Search For Ms. Campus Diva last October 1, 2002 was such a blast. There were 24 schools who vied in the said contest and Blush was lucky enough to interview one of the winners for Ms. Campus Diva. The 3rd runner up gal from Siena College of Q.C. Now, let’s get a little up close and personal with Phyllys. Full Name: Phyllys C. Flores Nickname: Sugar Birthday: July 29, 1982 School: Siena College of Q.C Blush: Since when did you started singing and who influenced you? Sugar: I started singing when I was 4 years old. Almost all the members of our family know how to sing, especially my mom and my aunt. They always find time to hear me sing and make me participate in our family gatherings. B: Have you undergone any workshop in singing? S